Thursday, May 02, 2013

#VegBoxChallenge - a taste of summer...

Tomorrow is Roo's 5th birthday (where did THAT time go!) so it's all go here on Mount Pleasant.
We are planning a picnic with family and a few of his friends from school at a local 'tourist' spot - Beechenhurst. It's a lovely place in the heart of the Forest - a large picnic area with a fab playground and lots of room for kids to run around and play.
It's all a bit last minute as we weren't sure what the weather was going to be like (fingers crossed it stays as lovely as it has been all week!) so I'm super busy prepping food and games which doesn't leave much time for anything else!

So, just a quick post showing you the super fruit and veg box I got from Four Seasons Food this week...



What I got in my box this week...

  • potatoes
  • carrots
  • purple sprouting
  • cauliflower
  • chicory
  • lettuce
  • cherry tomatoes
  • cucumber
  • rhubarb
  • apples
  • pears
  • a large orange
  • a punnet of strawberries!

first taste of summer...
Don't they look gorgeous? I left them warm up in the sun then me and Roo gobbled the lot :-) 

There are 4 lovely bulbs of chicory which is something I have eaten in salad - the boat shaped leaves make great little receptacles for dips or cottage cheese - but never actually cooked with so this weeks pinboard additions will mostly be chicory recipes. I am looking forward to trying something new! 

We also got the first thin pink sticks of rhubarb. Not quite enough for a crumble but I am thinking of making one of my all time favourite puddings - Rhubarb fool - with a little extra twist. Don't worry I'll share next week...

I have made a slight change to my veg box delivery - upgrading to a medium box at £13.50 but only have a delivery every two weeks. Money is tight and I often end up buying extra  basics anyway (there's never enough potatoes to keep the Other Half happy!) so I thought save a few quid and minimise waste this way. 

This means my veg box posts will be fortnightly too but I may still squeeze an extra recipe in alternate weeks!

I'll leave you with a few of the dishes we enjoyed with the contents of last week's box...


stir fried purple sprouting with mange tout and red onion - went lovely with a basic omelette


chunky veg and nut loaf with salad - a recipe I have been making for years and I WILL share shortly...


carrot cake muffins - the most sensible thing to do when you have a surplus of carrots! I blogged this recipe here if you have lots of carrots to use up too...

In case you were wondering what I did with the avocado that I was so excited about last week - it ended up sliced on ryvita which is still my favourite way to eat them :-)



1 comment:

  1. Sitting here getting hungry by the minute, with each scroll down of the page. Love the look of that chunky vegetable and nut loaf, one of my favourite things.

    Happy Birthday Roo (for tomorrow) have a lovely day out! It sounds a grand day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for staying this long :) I would love to hear what you have to say. Don't be shy, this could be start of a beautiful friendship!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips